Links with our Community
As part of the Healthy Schools Community Award we are evaluating our inks with the local community and trying to improve them to meet these targets:
The school offers the opportunity for families and the wider community to be involved in, and contribute to health and wellbeing activities and initiatives.
The school seeks opportunities to develop a relationship with employers and community groups that develops children's knowledge and creates aspirational experiences for young people.
Here at some ways that we already link with the community.
· Sports afternoon
· Work with South Derbyshire Active Schools Partnership who set up PE events in the community to compete with other schools (About 10 events a year) They run come and try festivals trying to get children into sport.
Gifted and talented PE events
· Year 6 Bowls with local club
· Chance to shine Derbyshire Cricket Board deliver sessions in school
· Five 60 Fitness Year 3
· Bikeability Y6
· Year 6 Women’s cricket World Cup semi-final in Derby
· Change for life festival for children learning about healthy (10 EYFS children)
· Active Champions Mentor Training – four Year 5 children – trained on how to lead a healthy active school
· Celebration assembly
· Dance in the forest
· Parents are invited in to view artwork by pupils
· Gardening club plant sales
· Christmas Fair
· Mystery reader
· Careers week
· Parents invited to assemblies
· Choir visit local residential home and sing songs
· Links with parents and schools as part of Transition . Y6 visit local secondary schools and Nursery children have the opportunity to visit with parents on a walk around
· Year 5 have 3 days at secondary school
· Links to Overseal Gala community event, creating a float competition and Gala King and Queen
· Choir sing at Gala
· Careers Week with visiting professionals
· Drama club put on theatre performances at the village hall
· Local theatre group performed a play and follow up activities linked to internet safety
· Visits from local police/fire officer etc.
· Derbyshire music centre performed in assembly
If you have any ideas about how we can link more with the community or if you would like to be involved in Careers week 2018, then please talk to your child's teacher or Mrs Goodridge.